史跡安芸国分寺

真言宗御室派
金嶽山 常光院
史跡 安芸国分寺

Omuro-ha Shingon-sect
A National Historic Site
Aki Kokubunji-Temple

ホーム > 縁起と歴史

HOME > Origin and History

縁起と歴史

Origin and History

安芸国分寺建立

安芸国分寺 歴史

天平十二年(740)に各国に七重塔一基を建て、法華経十部を写すよう詔を下し、翌年僧寺を金光明四天王護国之寺、尼寺を法華滅罪之寺、と呼ぶことが制定された。僧寺に僧二十人を置き、封戸五十戸、水田十町を施入し、尼寺には尼十人、水田十町を与えることが決定された。

「諸国で最もよい土地を選んで建てよ」という聖武天皇の詔が、日本六十四ヶ国に伝えられたのは天平十三年(741)。聖武天皇は人々の平穏を祈るために、国分僧寺(金光明四天王護国之寺)と国分尼寺(法華滅罪之寺)の建立を発願された。奈良の東大寺は、この総國分寺として建立された。

当時わが国は戦乱と異常気象が続き、凶作や飢饉、天然痘などの疫病が流行し、社会不安が広がり人々は不安と苦悩をつのらせていた。そこで聖武天皇は七重塔を建立して「この経典を広める王がいれば、常に四天王に守護せられて、病や憂いを癒し、願いをことごとく叶え、喜びをもたらす。」と説かれている『金光明最勝王経』を塔の中に安置することを全国の国司に命じたのである。

しかし、様々な条件を満たす土地はおいそれと見つからず、詔が出て6年にもなるのにまだ寺地の選定もされていない国があったようである。


国の華

安芸国分寺 歴史

一方安芸の国は、早々に土地の選定・國分寺造立に着手し、九年後の天平勝宝二年(750)には「斎会」や「安居」などが行われていたことが、木簡(同所より斎会や安居と書された土器が出土)の年号よりわかる。よって少なくとも金堂と僧房はそれ以前に建立されていたであろう。

安芸國分寺縁起には、第31代用明天皇の皇子、円通という人の開基だと記されている。用明天皇の皇子といえば廐戸皇子、すなわち聖徳太子のことであるから、円通=聖徳太子であり、太子の開山だと伝えられている。

つまり寺伝によれば、安芸國分寺は天平の國分寺造立の詔よりも、少なくとも150年前に建立された寺院を利用し造立されたとする。

建立当初の本尊は、丈六の釈迦牟尼仏を祀っていた。しかし、現在の本尊は薬師如来である。いつの時代に代わったかは不明である。現在の本尊は平安初期の面影を宿しているという、とすればそれ以前か…。


安芸国分寺第一度目の難『国分寺炎上』

安芸国分寺 歴史

かくして、安芸國分寺の伽藍が造立された。
しかしその後、象徴である塔は炎上し、ついに西に向けて崩れ灰と化した。飯田米秋氏によれば、源平合戦の戦火によるものだといい、市教育委員会の妹尾氏は落雷ではないかという。(後説有力)

塔は2度火災に会っているようである。発掘調査で年代の異なる二種類の瓦が発見されたことより判明。火災に遭った年代は不明。


栄華もどらず

安芸国分寺 歴史

國分寺をささえたものは律令制であったが、地方政治のみだれとともに国司や地頭がその寺領を侵しはじめ、相次ぐ戦火もその衰退に拍車をかけた。

一度兵火にあうと再建はむずかしく、仮に再建できたとしても国の華といわれた姿はもどらず、尼寺の場合は全くその姿を消してしまい、位置さえ不明になってしまうこともある。安芸國分寺、尼寺の場合も例外ではなく、現在も尼寺跡は特定できていない。

また、平安初期に国府が今の安芸郡府中町へ移転したことも打撃になったようで、多くの僧やその他の人々も四散してしまったようである。


法灯は脈々と

安芸国分寺 歴史

しかし法灯は脈々と続いていた。
住僧がいればその礼拝所・住居も当然なくてはならないものであり、國分寺創建当時とはゆかないまでも、少なからず金堂と僧房は再建されたことが推察される。

平安時代の中ごろから真言宗の僧が諸国の講読師として派遣されて、彼らは國分寺を地方布教の拠点とする傾向があった。
今日の國分寺の多くが真言宗であるのはそのためであるといわれている。

安芸國分寺も例外なく真言宗である。京都の仁和寺を本山とし、御室派に属している。何時頃仁和寺末になったかは不明。


国分寺第二度目の難『寺領没収』

安芸国分寺 歴史

戦国時代、毛利氏より三百貫(のちの三百石)を寺領として許しを受けた。

毛利氏が防長(山口県)に去り、そのあと入って来た福島氏はそうした寺社領のほとんどを取り上げた。よってこの慶長(1596〜1615)年間にこの地方の多くの有名、無名寺院が廃絶している。


最衰微からの復興『中興の宥雄法印』…

安芸国分寺 歴史

福島氏のあと入って来た浅野氏もこの方針を踏襲。燈明料としてわずか六石六升を寄進するに過ぎなかった。

寺領に見放された安芸國分寺の困窮ぶりは想像以上のもので、慶安四年(1651)には代官所に願い出て大修理をしている。続いて本堂の屋根が北西より崩れて大破し、その修理を願い出たのが天和二年(1682)のことである。
しかし、衰微のもっとも激しかったのは宝永年間(1704〜1711)だといわれており、それを宥雄法印が再興した。


国分寺第三度目の難『炎上ふたたび』

安芸国分寺 歴史

宥雄法印が苦労して再興をしたが、二年のちの宝暦九年(1759)4月1日夜八ツ時(午前2時)に出火、猛炎に包まれ諸堂がことごとく灰と化した。助かったのは本尊薬師如来の御首・護摩堂は本尊、仏具ともに難をのがれ、仁王門は離れていたので被害は無し

因みに本尊の不動明王は室町(あるいはそれ以前の南北朝)時代作

宝暦九年(1759)から文政(1818〜1830)の間に本堂・護摩堂・庫裏などが再建された。文政年間の國分寺図をみると江戸の後期にはそれなりの堂宇が配されているのがわかる。

しかし困窮ぶりはかわらず、本堂は幕末の慶応二年(1688)に売りに出され、現在東広島市高屋の正願寺の本堂となっている。ご本尊は一時護摩堂に安置される。また、庫裏もこの頃処分された。
また、梵鐘さえも明治12年(1879)に正福寺に売却されている。


維新から

安芸国分寺 歴史

新たに梵鐘を鋳たのは、明治34年(1901)(教善寺十六世智順日記 明治34年6月1日の条に〈本日國分寺鐘鋳ニ付、参観人多出〉と)。
しかし今度は太平洋戦争の犠牲となり、昭和18年に供出される。以後空鐘楼となり、堂と柱を載せる基石だけ残されていたが老朽化のため昭和25年頃に倒壊した。

昭和42年に護摩堂の大修理がなされ、記念法会に本尊特別開帳する。

昭和52年に大林寺に空鐘楼があり、堂と石垣とを譲り受け、同年9月に梵鐘を鋳造し、鐘楼堂再興す。又、山門屋根の葺き替えを行い、薬師堂も新築された。
この年國分寺第四十八世道憲師の晋山式が執り行われ、本尊特別開帳される。鐘楼堂建立、山門屋根の葺き替え、薬師堂新築は道憲師晋山記念事業の一環である。

因みに薬師堂安置の薬師如来は平安時代後期の作である。


平成の『再建へ』

安芸国分寺 歴史

時は平成に移り、鐘楼堂は平成3年9月17日の台風19号にて倒壊。

幸いに鐘は無事であり、平成4年檀信徒協力の基に堂を再建。平成9年には護摩堂の屋根・壁を修理する。また、平成12年には庫裏を新築。平成14年3月には山門の柱を補修し、平成16年に念願の本堂再建を果たしご本尊薬師如来奉安の場を得た。同年の本堂落慶法会に本尊が特別開帳された。

平成28年11月6日 当山147世、中興49世光崇晋山式、客殿落慶法会奉修。


天平から平成まで、1200余年の長き歴史を歩んできた安芸国分寺ですが、歴代住僧と地域住民の支えによって幾多の困難を乗り越え、その法灯を絶やすことなく脈々と伝え護られて、今日に至っています。

現在、信仰・観光・考古学など目的は違いますが、多くの方が安芸国分寺に参拝され、ご本尊薬師如来をはじめ国分寺におられる神仏にご加護を請こう方々が、あとをたえません。


安芸国分寺 略年表

敏達天皇3年〜推古天皇30年574〜622安芸國分寺前身の寺院建立(國分寺縁起による)
天平13年741聖武天皇の國分寺・尼寺造立の詔が発せられる
天平勝宝2年750この頃には國分寺にて安居・斎会が行なわれていた。
天徳2年958頃住僧勝誓遷化の後尊住が任ぜられている。(天徳2年安芸国牒)
平安時代中期830前後 真言宗寺院となる。
戦国時代1500頃毛利氏より三百貫(後の三百石)の寺領の許しを受けた。
慶長6年1601頃福島氏安芸国に入封。寺社領を殆ど没収する。
元和5年1619頃 浅野氏安芸国に入封。福島氏の方針を踏襲。燈明料六石六升
慶安4年1651代官所に願い出て大修理をする。
天和2年1682本堂の屋根が北西より崩れて大破。代官所に修理を願い出る。
貞享3年1686本尊開帳。
享保3年1718善良和上が住職在任中。本尊開帳。
元文元年1736本尊特別開帳。本尊薬師如来安置一千年記念法会。
1750 (本尊開扉正当年)
宝暦7年1757宥雄法印、國分寺を中興す。
宝暦9年1759大火災により、山門を残し諸堂全焼する。本尊の御首(頭)、不動明王、矜羯羅、制多迦、十王の内の四王、護摩堂仏具は難を逃れる。
宝暦10年1760京仏師、山口伊織が本尊の御身を補い修復する。
明和5年17682月世羅郡甲山町下市の平林栄蔵が薬師堂安置薬師如来の蓮花台と光背を補修する。
宝暦12年17625月26日中興法印権大僧都宥雄大和上遷化。
宝暦9年
〜文政
1759
1818〜1830
本堂・護摩堂・庫裏など再建。
1782(本尊開扉正当年)
文化元年18044月29日法印権大僧都宥意和上遷化。
享和元年18016月9日寂如和上遷化。
享和2年180210月5日住位蒭瑞眼大和上遷化。
文化8年181112月27日法印権大僧都瑞観和上遷化。
1814(本尊開扉正当年)
文政3年一八二〇正月十八日法印権大僧都宥鏡和上遷化。
1846(本尊開扉正当年)
文久元年186110月12日権大僧都法印瑞峯和上遷化。
慶応2年1866高屋町の正願寺に本堂売却。
1878(本尊開扉正当年)
明治12年1879正福寺に梵鐘売却
明治24年1891梵鐘を鋳る
1910(本尊開扉正当年)
昭和3年19285月25日智賢阿闍梨遷化。世寿64。
1942(本尊開扉正当年)
昭和18年1943梵鐘、太平洋戦争に供出。
昭和25年1950鐘楼堂(空鐘)倒壊
昭和35年19609月20日阿闍梨一哉和上遷化。世寿94。
昭和42年1967護摩堂大修理。記念法会。本尊特別開帳。
昭和49年1974(本尊開扉正当年)
昭和52年1977土与丸大林寺の空鐘楼と石垣を譲り受ける。
同9月梵鐘を鋳造、鐘楼堂再興す。山門屋根の葺き替えを行う。薬師堂新築。
國分寺第四十八世道憲晋山。本尊特別開帳。
平成3年19919月17日台風19号により鐘楼堂倒壊(鐘は被害なし)。
平成4年1992鐘楼堂を再建。
平成9年1997護摩堂の屋根・壁を修理。
平成12年2000庫裏を新築。
平成14年20023月山門の柱を補修。
同12月3日当山第145世(中興第47七世)阿闍梨浄心尼遷化。
平成16年2004本堂再建。落慶法会に本尊特別開帳。
平成18年2006(本尊開扉正当年)
平成20年12月 副住職庫裏完成。
同年月23日光崇房入山
平成23年20119月29日山号額新調し山門に掲ぐ。
平成24年201210月5日弁才天堂老朽のため新造す。
平成25年201312月12日第146世(國分寺中興48世)道憲住職退任。
平成26年20141月21日 光崇第147世住職就任。
平成27年9月18日客殿建築に伴い土公供奉修。
平成28年2月21日客殿上棟式奉修。
平成28年201611月6六日147世、中興49世光崇晋山式並びに客殿落慶法会奉修。
平成29年10月3〜5日地蔵堂修復。
2038(本尊開扉正当年)

檀家さま専用ページ

パスワードを入力して下さい


Establishment of AkiKokubunji

安芸国分寺 歴史

In 740, there was an imperial decree to transcribe Hokke Sutra Part 10 and to build a seven-storied Pagoda in each country. Next year, it was enacted that temples for monks should be called “Konkomyo ShitennoGokokunotera”, likewise, temple for nuns “Hokke Metsuzainotera” A temple should have 20 monks「Choose the best land and build the temple there.

Imperial decree by Emperor Shomu was announced to 64 provinces in Japan in 741, Tenpyo 13. Emperor Shomu had the desire to save all sentient beings, and build Kokubunnsouji Kokubun-niji Todai-ji in Nara was built as the head temple of Kokubunji.

Continuous war and abnormal climate cause lean harvest and starvation, and small pox was going around these days, and these problem led to social instability and people were in anxiety and agony. Emperor Shomu ordered provincial governor to build a seven stories Pagoda and settle “Konjoumyo Saisho Okyo” sutra inside pagoda.

However, it was not easy to find a land to build it and it was not completed even after 6years for some provinces


国の華

安芸国分寺 歴史

In Aki province these days, Kokubun-ji was started to build without delay. In 750
It is said that the temple was founded by Entsu, a son of 31st Emperor Yomei in “History of Akikokubun-ji”, the son of Yomei emperor was the price Umayado, the same person as Prince Shotoku Therefore, it is said that Prince Shotoku founded the temple.

According to the temple history, Akikokubun-ji seemed to be erected 150 years earlier than the imperial edict in Tenpei era.

The original principal image of Buddha was Shakamuni-butu. However, it is Yakushi Nyorai at the present. It is unknown that when the principal image of Buddha was changed. Present principal image has feature particular to early Heian era, so it seems that it had been changed before that.

The original principal image of Buddha was Shakamuni-butu. However, it is Yakushi Nyorai at the present. It is unknown that when the principal image of Buddha was changed. Present principal image has feature particular to early Heian era, so it seems that it had been changed before that.


安芸国分寺第一度目の難『国分寺炎上』

安芸国分寺 歴史

A complex of temple buildings in Akikokubunji was built in this way. However, the pagoda was burnt and fell down which was the symbol of the temple due to the Genpei war according to Yoneaki Iida. Also, Mr.Seno, the member of Municipal Board of Education supposed that it was destroyed by a stroke of lightning, and this opinion is more convincing.

The pagoda seemed to be suffered by fire twice. This was known by the fact that two different ages of roof tiles were found on excavation investigation. The years that fires occurred are unknown.


栄華もどらず

安芸国分寺 歴史

Kokubun-ji was supported by Ritsuryo System (Lows and ordinance system), local governments were disturbed and provincial governors and agents in charge of a lord’s manor started to invade temple estates. Also, frequent fires by wars caused to decline.

It is difficult to rebuild once it was suffered by fire and it is hard to recover as good as original. Many convents were all burnt and impossible to identify the site. Likewise, the site of a convent in Akikokubunji is not identified yet. Also, provincial capital had been moved to Fuchu-cho in Akigun in early Heian era, and many priests and others left this place.


Light of Buddhism inherited

安芸国分寺 歴史

However, light of Buddhism was inherited.
It seemed that Buddhist priests were living in the temple and at least the main hall and temple quarters seemed to be rebuilt.

Priests of Shingon sect were sent to all around the nation as missionaries from mid Heian era, and they tend to live in Kokubun-ji as the base of local propagation. Therefore, it is said that many of Kokubun-ji at present belong to Shingon sect

And Akikokubunji is also belong to Shingon sect, Omuro-ha. Grand head temple is Ninnaji in Kyoto. It is unknown when it became the branch temple of Ninnaji.


Second difficulty Confiscated territory

安芸国分寺 歴史

During Civil war period, 300koku of land was as temple territory by Mori clan.

However, Mori clan left to Bocho (Yamaguchi prefecture as it is), and Fukuyama clan came and confiscated most of temple territories in this region. Therefore, many temples in this region had ruined during Keicho era, from 1596 to 1615.


Recovery from the worst宥雄法印

安芸国分寺 歴史

Asano clan who came after Fukushima clan had the same policy. Poverty of Akikokubun-ji was quite serious and implored the magistrate to restore the teHowever, it was declined to the worst during Hoei period (1704 to 1711), but was revived by


The third difficulty Fire occurred again

安芸国分寺 歴史

The Fire occurred again around 2 am on April 1 in 1759, and most of temple buildings were burnt. A few survived a fire were the head of the principal image Yakushinyorai, , the principal image and Buddhist alter fittings in Goma-do hall, and Nio-mon gate.

Fudo myo-o (Acara) was created in either Muromachi period or earlier in Northern and Southern Courts period.

The main hall, Goma do hall, and priest’s quarter were reconstructed. According to Kokubun-ji map in Bunsei period, there are certain level of temple halls were existed on the temple ground in late Edo period.

However, the temple was still in poverty, and the main hall was sold in 1688, and nowit is in Shogan-ji in Takaya-cho, Higashihiroshima-city as the main hall. The principal image was settled in Goma-do hall during this period,
and priest quarter was disposed at the time. Even the bell was sold to Shofuku-jiin 1879.


After the Restoration

安芸国分寺 歴史

The bell was installed again in 1901.However, it was destroyed and delivered during Pacific war. The bell tower had been vacant and remained base stones were getting old and collapsed around 1950.

In 1967, large repairs were made on Goma do hall, and the principal image was unveiled inにthe special memorial service

In 1967, large repairs were made on Goma do hall, and the principal image was unveiled in the special memorial service. In 1977, there is a vacant bell tower inDairin-jiand the hall and stone wall were removed and installed in Kokubun-ji. On September in the same year, the bell was molded and the bell tower was reconstructed. Also, roof of the temple gate was rethatched and Yakushi-do hall was newly built.
This year, the inauguration ceremony for Doken, the 48th head priest of the temple, was held and the principal image was unveiled specially. The bell tower and roof of the temple gate restoration, and newly built Yakushi-do hall were the commemorative events for Priest Doken.

In addition, Yakushi Nyorai statue in Yakushi-do hall was created in latter Heian Period.


Rebuild in Heisei period

安芸国分寺 歴史

The bell tower was destroyed by Typhoon No.19 on September 17th in 1991.

Fortunately the bell was safe, the hall was rebuilt by support of believers in 1992. The Roof and walls of Goma-do hall were repaired in 1997. The priest quarter was newly built in 2000. Columns of the gate were repaired on March 2002. In 2004, finally the main hall was rebuilt where the principal image Yakushi Nyorai can be peacefully settled. In this year, there was also a celebration of completion of a main hall and the principal image was specially unveiled

In 2016, 147th of the temple, the inauguration ceremony the 48th head priest of a temple, and the guest house completion ceremony was held,


Akikokubunji has 1200years of history from Tenpei to Heisei period. This temple overcame many difficulties with the support of successive chief priests and local resident. 。

Today, many people visit Akikokubun-ji for worship, sightseeing, and studying archaeology. Also, many people come here to worship the principal image Yakushinyorai and other deities and Buddhas in Akikokubun-ji.


コンテンツ

Content

安芸国分寺

Aki Kokubunji


ページのトップへ戻る